Al-Faisal College’s Science Program is designed to:
• Foster a fascination with the natural world and with the application of scientific understanding to solve problems
• Nurture an appreciation of the value of science in solving problems and so making the world a better place
• Build an appreciation of the ethical issues that inevitably accompany the application of science to real world problems
• Develop students’ knowledge, skills and ability to think critically and solve problems and so to provide a basis for further education and/or participate effectively as a member of society
In our teaching, we seek to show students the relevance of what they learn to everyday life and the world around them. As students learn about their world they are also taught a whole range of skills which relate to the processes of science. These skills can help them to become independent thinkers and also enable them to become valuable team players and enable them to work safely in the laboratory environment.
Assessment in science involves a variety of tasks and is not confined to measuring achievement but is an important part of the learning process as students work towards achieving tasks and take on board the feedback provided by their teachers. We place an emphasis on safety by educating students about risks and the necessary precautions that need to be taken. Teachers are also careful to ensure unsafe activities do not take place.
Science in Years 7-10
In each year, students will cover about eight topics covering each of the main branches of science including chemistry, physics, biology and earth science. As students work through these topics they will move from basic principles in Year 7 to more advanced concepts in Years 9-10 where they are prepared for senior science studies. Each topic explores science concepts through a variety of teaching and learning strategies incorporating practical experiences as well as theory
Science in Years 11 and 12
Science is studied to Higher School Certificate Level in four subjects at Al-Faisal College:
• Biology is the study of living things. In this course students learn about the human body, plants, microorganisms, genes and heredity, diseases, evolution and biotechnology.
• Chemistry is the study of matter and the atoms that make it up. Students studying this course will learn about metals and non-metals, water, fuels, acids, chemical processes used in industry and forensics.
• Physics in Years 11-12 is largely concerned with the study of energy and forces. It looks at things such as motion, light, waves, space, electricity, magnetism and various forms of technology that utilizes energy such as telephones, batteries and electric motors
• Senior Science incorporates elements of all of the three sciences mentioned above
Assessment in the senior courses is based on a variety of tasks including examinations, first-hand investigations and research tasks in which students utilise various mediums in their presentation of their findings.
Al-Faisal College, 149 Auburn Rd, Auburn NSW 2144, Sydney, Australia | Telephone +61 2 8877 2000 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org |
Copyright: Al-Faisal College. All Rights Reserved 2017.